POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3dnoise: help me understand. : 3dnoise: help me understand. Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:23:35 EDT (-0400)
  3dnoise: help me understand.
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 5 Oct 1999 16:54:06
Message: <37FA64D8.6F1532FE@my-dejanews.com>
I'm having fun making flythroughs of the 3dnoise function in the
superpatch for povray.

I am trying to understand this mathematically.   If I use:
3dnoise(x,y,z)
I get something with a uniform distribution of porosity.  As the
threshold approaches 1.0, the percent porosity approaches 0 (% density
approaches 1.0).  However, if the threshold is 0.0, there is not 100%
porosity.

I want to understand how to change the radial density of the noise
function.  Suppose I want to make a sphere where the density approaches
0 at r=R.  How would I do this?  Intuitively, I might try:
3dnoise(x^0.5,y^0.5,z^0.5)
. So far, nothing is yielding precisely the results I'm looking for.